FEATHERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP THRILLER BETWEEN MAX HOLLOWAY AND FRANKIE EDGAR HEADLINES UFC 240 IN EDMONTON
Edmonton, Canada – UFC returns to Edmonton with a highly anticipated featherweight championship bout that will see titleholder and No. 5 ranked pound-for-pound fighter Max Holloway defend his belt against No. 4 ranked contender Frankie Edgar.
UFC 240 takes place Saturday, July 27 at Rogers Place and will stream live nationally on Pay-Per-View at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT in both English and Spanish.
Preliminary fights will air nationally in English and Spanish on ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes linear networks starting at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT with the early prelims simulcast on UFC Fight Pass and ESPN+ at 6:15 p.m. ET/3:15 p.m. PT.
Unbeaten at 145 pounds for almost six years, Holloway (20-4, fighting out of Waianae, Hawaii) has utilized dynamic striking to topple the featherweight elite. Over the course of his spectacular run, he has delivered thrilling stoppage wins against Jose Aldo (twice), Brian Ortega, Anthony Pettis and Cub Swanson. Originally scheduled to face Edgar on two previous occasions, Holloway aims to add another legend to his resume and stake his claim as the most dominant featherweight champion in UFC history.
A former lightweight champion, Edgar (23-6-1, fighting out of Toms River, N.J.) looks to join the short list of athletes who have won titles in two UFC divisions. Throughout his legendary career, he has netted spectacular victories over BJ Penn (three times), Cub Swanson (twice), Chad Mendes and Gray Maynard. With history in his sights, Edgar looks to become the first fighter to defeat Holloway at 145 pounds since 2013 and reach the top of the division.
UFC 240 will mark the 30th UFC event in Canada, dating back to its inaugural fight card in the Great White North at UFC 83 in 2008. During this time the world’s premier mixed martial arts organization has staged thrilling cards from coast-to-coast in 11 different cities—Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Moncton, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Saskatoon, Toronto, Vancouver and Winnipeg.
Additional bouts on the card include:
- No. 7 ranked flyweight contender Alexis Davis (19-9, fighting out of San Jose, Calif. by way of Niagara Falls, Canada) looks to re-assert herself in the title picture against dangerous prospect Viviane Araujo (7-1, fighting out of Brasilia, Brazil)
- No. 8 ranked Lauren Murphy (10-4, fighting out of Glendale, Ariz.) faces No. 12 Mara Romero Borella (13-5 1 NC, fighting out of Coconut Creek, Fla. by way of Ponte dell’Olio, Italy) in a clash of flyweight contenders
- Gillian Robertson (6-3 fighting out of Coconut Creek, Fla. by way out Niagara Falls, Canada) goes for another impressive submission win against gritty Sarah Frota (9-1, fighting out of Balneario Camboriu, Brazil)
- Erik Koch (15-6, fighting out of Milwaukee, Wisc.) makes his welterweight debut against Kyle Stewart (8-1, fighting out of Tempe, Ariz.)
- More fights to be announced soon
For the latest information on additional bouts for this event, please visit www.ufc.com. All bouts live and subject to change.