Being in the fight business for more than 45 years, our company has a saying around the office: “Nothing draws a bigger crowd than a good fight.” We’ve learned the statement couldn’t be any more accurate when it comes to live UFC Pay-Per-View events at sports bars
But guaranteeing a profitable UFC event takes more than purchasing a UFC commercial license from us. From our years of experience working with bar owners, here are some of the best ways to promote events at your location.
Before the Doors Open
- Follow the steps in the UFC Pay-Per-View Bar Checklist.
- Utilize free social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to promote your event. Post photos and posters and have employees tag or share with friends to help spread the word that you'll be carrying UFC events. For a full guide to social media promotion, click here.
- Display your 10 free posters in high-traffic places around your location. This is the No. 1 way UFC fans learn that you are showing the fights.
- Contact your beer and liquor representatives for giveaway items or sponsorship opportunities.
- Pay early and get listed on UFC and Joe Hand Promotions “Bar Finder” websites.
- Reach out to local MMA clubs and gyms to advertise.
On Fight Night
- Keep customers in your venue after the fight by promoting post-fight specials.
- Consider using VIP seating or table minimums to boost revenue.
- Run a Pick the Winners contest using gift cards for your venue as prizes.
- Get extra swag from beer reps, or use restaurant gift cards or other prizes to hold drawings and giveaways the night of the fight.
- Show the FREE preliminary fights on Fox Sports 1 beginning at 8 p.m. ET to draw a crowd earlier.
- Encourage bounce backs by rewarding repeat customers.
- Gather email addresses to create a database of UFC fans for future email campaigns.
- For more fight-night tips, see the notes from our marketing seminar on the topic.
After the Event
- Show FREE UFC Fight Night events that air on FOX and FS1. Use these fight nights to raise awareness for Pay-Per-Views and cross promote to encourage bounce backs.